Growing up, I believed my destiny was to work in PR, travel the world, wear incredible clothes and live an envious life (envious to whom, I’m not sure).
I wanted to fit in. I wanted to be successful, smart and powerful to feel that I had ‘arrived’ and deserved a place in the world.
Somewhere along the way I got hooked on striving for a Hollywood version of happiness. I believed when I had accomplished X, Y and Z I would be joyful, carefree and loved. But years of hiding my truth and striving for a perfect life in order to feel accepted, brought with it it’s own level of stress, anxiety and depression.
It wasn’t until I connected with my heart and gave myself permission to try my own business, start writing and became a Life Coach that I realised I didn’t need to fit in to the world, the world would support me anyway it could – if I was open and willing to accept it.
Over the years, and still to this day, I work on letting go of doing what’s easy (because it’s expected or will keep the peace) and focus on doing what’s right for my heart and my overall life vision.
Holding on to a stressful and negative mindset is easy because it’s comfortable, it’s what we all know without having to work hard at trying something new. But what I’ve discovered recently, thanks to A LOT of pulling back the layers and understanding what it is I genuinely want from life, is this list of 10 things I try to let go of to connect to and remain on a heart driven path forward.
- Letting go of comparison, believing everyone else is happier, care-free and better-off than I am.
- Letting go of the need to be liked by everyone I meet.
- Letting go of limiting talk and behaviours that hold me back from achieving my true purpose and life vision.
- Letting go of the fear of the unknown and trusting the Universe will present opportunities as and when the time is right.
- Letting go of the need for approval from others before I believe in myself.
- Letting go of drama, negativity and the infectious “that’s just life” mentality that holds many people back.
- Letting go of other’s opinions and trusting my own judgements and personal intuition.
- Letting go of the need to do more, be more, have more and want more (that doesn’t serve my heart driven purpose).
- Letting go of my ‘us and them’ mentality and money woes and understanding that it’s not ‘bad’ to earn a healthy income from doing what I love.
- Letting go of the need for control at every step and moving more with the ebb and flow of life.
Tell me in the comments below what do you want to let go of to reclaim your heart driven purpose?
For more tools and tips to declutter your physical, spiritual and mental compartments, download the free eBook From Chaos To Calm here.