After 12+ years working in the PR industry, answering to clients, working long hours and generally busting my lovely lady lumps to carve out my career, I assumed using that same level of force, attitude and aggression towards my business as a Lifestyle & Career Coach was required.
Only the more I pushed myself to make things happen, like finalise my website by a certain date, have content prepared for new clients, worksheets written and appointments scheduled, I could feel my body tighten, constrict, grow anxious and feel exhausted before I’d even started.
For all the reasons I was leaving my corporate career behind, it seemed, I was subconsciously bringing those negative emotions and lifestyle with me because it’s what I thought I had to do to be ‘successful’.
But I’ve learnt enough in my new line of work, and personal development, to acknowledge by behaviour and stopped to ask myself, “What do you really want to create for yourself?”
“Is this way of living your picture of the future?”
Not surprisingly, the answer was no.
Instinctively, I felt like I had lost my feminine energy – the calm, conscious, connected and creative girl I knew I was – somewhere in the hurry to launch Woman Rising.
Quite often feminine energy is put down as ‘weak’ or ‘lesser’ than the masculine energy within all of us, because it is perceived as soft, mild or vague.
But after allowing myself to reconnect with my feminine energy to direct the growth of my business, I have come to learn feminine energy has its own type of strength, because it steers your heart and guides you to realign with your true self. When you are your true self, you are at your most powerful.
Think of feminine energy as the opposite of the masculine energy, which can be pushy, controlling, more assertive and forceful in striving to achieve goals and leading with your head or mind.
If you feel like you are constantly forcing things to get answers or pushing your way up hill to achieve more at work, but nothing seems to be working for you, reclaim your feminine power and harness its energy for greater emotional, physical and spiritual stability in your day-to-day life. Then watch as life appears to flow more freely…
Here are my 5 tips to honour your feminine energy:
- Connect: Often in the busyness of life we can loose connection with loved ones. Real connection. Having dinner with our devices buzzing on the table, TV on in the background, or multiple screens flashing around the house day-in and day-out is draining. All this surface activity is reducing the space for real conversation and appreciating each other’s time. Our feminine energy thrives on connection (that’s why you feel revitalised after catching up for coffee with friends) but our need to be consistently plugged-in is destroying our ability to connect.
- Communicate: In addition to having more conversations, communication with yourself is crucial for understanding what is going on at a deeper level. What limiting beliefs are you telling yourself? What are your motivations for constantly striving at work or keeping yourself endlessly busy? The need to keep going could be masking other issues and personal challenges. Take a journal or piece of paper and pen and answer this question: Who am I if I am not always busy? What does my heart desire right now? The answer may not be logical, but the empowering freedom that comes from being honest with yourself will catapult your feminine energy back to its rightful place in your heart.
- Consciousness: When you indulge yourself in a massage or facial, do you float for the rest of the day and feel re-energised? This magical feeling is possible when you want it (at no cost!) if you are more conscious of your actions and being in the moment. Easier said than done? Nope. Try introducing a five-minute mindful meditation to your day to reconnect to the here and now. If you’re not use to mediation or silence, this can be confronting, but the more you practise the easier it gets and your energy will naturally realign to its most authentic self. Then incorporate mindfulness in to everything you do. When you wash the dishes, concentrate on washing the dishes not tomorrow’s chores, meetings or the cupcakes you have to make for your daughter’s school fete. By being conscious of the moment, you allow space for inspiration to find you again. If you’re constantly striving for things to happen or caught up in the chaos of your mind you will miss what you are meant to hear.
- Compassion: Do you get angry easily or go in to your woman-cave when it feels like the world is against you and nothing goes your way? Perhaps you are so hard on yourself that you constantly putting yourself down? Finding room to show yourself love, compassion and forgiveness will recharge your feminine energy to attract more love, compassion and support towards you. When you are compassionate and loving towards yourself, others will reciprocate it back to you and your feminine energy will flourish.
- Creation: Expressing our creativity as an adult is one of the first child-like traits we lose when we have to live in the ‘real world’. I say poo to that! Join a dance class, start painting, learn pottery or sing at the top of your voice while driving in the car. Whatever your chosen creative outlet is, grab it with both hands and have fun. You’ll be amazed at how your inspiration and imagination easily ignite when you play, and there is nothing more exhilarating than doing something just for the love of it, without an expectation or outcome attached. Your feminine energy will thank you for it.
So let me know in the comments below, what is one example from your life when you achieved more when you did less and harnessed your feminine energy?
And I’d love to know, which one or three of these tips will you try today?